People who do great things place their beliefs and convictions higher than their desire to be liked by people. They take a stand for something they believe in regardless of the negative reactions they get.
When someone is obsessively worried about people liking them, it keeps them from challenging the status quo, leading a life of significance, and thinking and deciding for themselves.
I’ll be honest, I want people to like me. Too often this desire influences my thinking more than I would like it to.
I also want to do something great and significant with my life. I have realized if I place my desire for others to like me in front of what I believe in my heart I should do, I’m destined for average.
“The person who won’t stand for something will fall for anything.” Lila Wescott Ziglar
People who placed their beliefs and convictions over their desire for people to like them and changed the course of history:
1. Martin Luther King, Jr. – King believed there could be a world where everyone was treated fairly and with dignity. His stood strong for this belief in the face of extreme opposition.
2. Abraham Lincoln – Despite being seen as inadequate and inept by many in the country, Lincoln led the country through the crisis of the American Civil War and preserved the Union while ending slavery.
3. Mahatma Gandhi – Gandhi took a stand and with nonviolent disobedience and led India to independence. This inspired movements for freedom and civil rights around the world.
4. Henry Ford – Ford’s own engineers, some of the best in the world, repeatedly told him a V8 engine was scientifically impossible. Ford insisted they keep trying and made automotive history when the first V8 engine was produced.
5. Martin Luther – Luther was a German monk, priest, and professor. He took a stand for what he believed and nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to a church door. This resulted in him being excommunicated and condemned as an outlaw. This stand greatly influenced the Protestant Reformation and changed the course of Western civilization.
Go ahead, take a stand today and change the course of history!
Would you add anyone to this list of people who took a stand?